Emily grew up all over the world while her father worked for the UN and US government. Her love for “all things to do with pregnancy” was sparked when she was just 13 after meeting a missionary midwife in Pakistan. Graduating from Addington Hospital School of Nursing and Midwifery School in South Africa, she has attended more than 700 births over her career in birth as midwife and now as a doula. She believes it's her privilege to be able to combine her passions of birth and fitness. The Education of her clients - whether in Fitness, Wellness, or Childbirth - has always been a priority.
Emily has been active in the women's fitness, health and wellness world for more than 25 years as an educator, trainer, presenter, mentor, and magazine contributor. Her work in the Perinatal Fitness community has expanded over the years into mentorships and trainings for both medical providers and fitness professionals. She is the author and founder of 4th Trimester Fitness® Method: 4 Pillars for Better Birth™, Birth Ball Basics™, Postpartum Recovery® Fitness and Pelvic Floor, Core & More™. These programs have been experienced by hundreds of women, birth workers, and obstetric care providers.
Known better as "Memmy" in the Birth community, she is highly sought after as both a Birth Doula and a Doula Business Coach. She supports families ( aka "Memmy's Mommas") in Home birth, Birth Center birth, and Hospital birth. She believes it's her privilege to support families in their healthy birthing choices and is honored to do so. No longer wearing the "nurse midwife's cap", Emily says that she proudly wears the "Doula Hat with a Midwife's Eyes and Mother's Heart".
You will never be "just another client" to Emily; you are a friend.
* DONA Certified Birth Doula
* Certified Lactation Counselor, ALPP
* Total Control®: Pelvic Floor Instructor and Master Trainer
* AFAA: Peri-natal Fitness, Group Exercise, Personal Training
* YMCA: Perinatal fitness, Group Exercise, Personal Training, Strength Training
* Healthy Moms® Fitness: Perinatal Fitness Instructor
* AHA Adult, Child, and Infant: CPR and AED; Neonatal Resuscitation (NRP)
* Silver Sneakers 1 & 2
* Resist-a-ball Levels 1 & 2
* PSI's Perinatal Mood Disorders: Components of Care
* FOCEP (Florida Outreach Childbirth Education Program)
Other Trainings and Affiliations:
* Diane Lee: Abdominal Wall after Pregnancy
* Spinning Babies: Belly Mapping, Optimal Positioning, Resolving Shoulder Dystocia
* HypnoBirthing® Childbirth Education Instructor (lapsed and no longer teaching)
* DONA approved Breastfeeding Course
* Perinatal Anxiety and Mood Disorder (PMAD) Training
* K-Power (kinesiology) for Mind Body Therapists and Birth Professionals
* ACSM Health Fitness Specialist (allows for "special populations")
* ACSM Personal Trainer
* AFAA Pilates, Seniors
* AFPA Perinatal Fitness
* Women's Health Foundation: Total Control Platinum
Educate, Support, Facilitate